Diesel Railcar Simulator is an app developed by Lapioware. Diesel Railcar Simulator was first published on . The app is available on Steam.What is it?Diesel Railcar Simulator is a train driving simulator modelling the passenger diesel multiple units, or "railcars", and other trains of the 1960s British railways.How does it play?The goal is to drive...
Diesel Railcar Simulator Review
Diesel Railcar Simulator is an app designed by Lapioware. Diesel Railcar Simulator was first published on . It is available on Steam.
What is it?Diesel Railcar Simulator is a train driving simulator modelling the passenger diesel multiple units, or "railcars", and other trains of the 1960s British railways.
How does it play?The goal is to drive a train from A to B with safety, comfort and timekeeping in mind. You can choose from hundreds of Inter-City, semifast, stopping, freight, rescue and empty coaching stock train services. The gameplay is mostly sandbox: there's no need to earn points or money to unlock any of the runs.
Where's the replay value?Your driving style and timekeeping are evaluated upon completing a run. Try the same run again to reach a higher score by braking more accurately or driving more economically. You'll still need to prepare for suprises as traffic conditions and delays may change from run to run.
Is it realistic?
- Physics are simulated in detail: individual components of the transmission are replicated to ensure realistic behaviour. The suspension of each vehicle is also modelled to make it bounce and sway over uneven trackwork
- Sounds are mostly authentic: many of the most important sounds used for the railcars are recordings of the real trains
- Computer-driven AI trains occasionally make human-like mistakes
- Graphics are good enough not to distract, but will still be improved in the future
Is it easy to learn?Yes, the game has optional integrated tutorials that show helpful data on the screen while you're driving, such as the current target speed or which key to press. There's also an alternative simplified control mode where the train is operated with up/down keys only, while the actual throttle, shifter and brake levers are computer-controlled.
Can I just relax and watch the trains run?Yes, you can choose to spectate and watch the computer drive the train from any viewpoint. You can also change trains at any time.
What routes are included?There are three fictitious routes with different characteristics, totalling over 150 miles: 4- and 2-track main lines, short urban and suburban lines, mountainous rural single track lines. There are more routes in the Workshop, including ones based on the real world.
What trains are included?
- Four British Railways diesel railcar classes with manual gearboxes: 112, 117, 122 and 126
- Class 127 railcar with torque converters (no need to change gears)
- Locomotives: Classes 03 and 37
- Mineral wagon, guard's van
- Mk1 coaches and Siphon G parcels van
- More trains and liveries available for download in the Workshop
Can I make my own routes and trains?Yes, in-game editors are included for creating new routes, timetables and trains. All existing routes and trains can also be edited. Please see the guides in the community section for more detailed information.
Anything else worth mentioning?
- The game is still in development and missing many features. For instance, passengers only stand still on the platform and there's no native controller support
- The first trailer video shows outdated graphics. Please see the screenshots for up-to-date examples of the visual quality